CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, September 21, 2009

Chris' Bronco Conversion


To help give some perspective on height, my father in law Randy (who helped a ton) is about 6'1" or so and I'm 5'5" on a good day.

As most of you know I bought an '84 Bronco II this past summer that was and is exactly like the original Bronco II that I had in high school and up to post mission until the tragic descent down Mt. Blanca and I tipped Billy 1 on his side. I had great plans and chopped the top and was going to do all kinds of work but then realized that it wasn't as good of an idea as I thought with a family now in the pic and limited funds. So I picked up Billy 2 for $500 from a family up off of 70 west just outside of Denver, threw in an old tranny I had stored at my brother's house and away we went. Wasn't long though and I decided that I couldn't keep Billy 2 stock and decided to swap over all of the running gear from Billy 1 (the Dana 44 solid front axle w/locker/disc brakes & the matching Ford 9" rear end with a posi trac from an Early Bronco) and make a nice, capable family 4x4 and camping rig. So I bought James Duff 3.5" progressive coils and new c-bushings along with rear spring eye bushings. It took me about a week all together to get everything swapped over (the weather didn't cooperate much while we were in Alamosa and I needed to spend time with the fam on my time off also). The truck also has the stock BII rear leaf packs with 2 explorer leafs woven in and a toyota overload leaf that are all atop a 3-4" lift block. I put on the 2nd shock set up front and it has helped tremendously with the trucks stability since I'm not running sway bars. BTW my wife is heckling me as I write the details of my work. To wrap up it is a ton of fun to drive but there are still a few kinks to work out with the radius arms not sitting level, re trimming the fenders and cutting down the '79 bronco t-style steering linkage to fit and a few other things here and there. In total it has changed front frame rail height from about 15" from the ground to 31" off the ground. I estimate it to be about 8" suspension lift and then the 35x12.50 BFG's pick up the rest. I will be posting more recent pics as well as hopefully some action shots too in the bear future!





1 comments:

Jana Banana said...

I always seem to miss out of the Billy adventures.one of these days...